As we well know, companies and organizations must protect their employees from any work accident; that is why we want to tell you about the application of the ISO 45001 standard, which provides a number of positive benefits so that this protection is always in force.
ISO 45001 Standard
ISO 45001 standard is one of the international standards for the management of occupational health and safety systems and is intended to protect workers and visitors from any occupational accidents that may occur.
This standard has as its main objective to help all companies and organizations to provide a safe working environment. Thus, it focuses on controlling factors that are capable of causing serious injury or illness.
The ISO 45001 standard has great acceptance in industries because it is very efficient and, with its implementation, great results are obtained. Here is a small guide for you to understand how to execute this standard.
ISO 45001 Implementation Guide
To implement the ISO 45001 standard, it is necessary to complete the following stages:
- Diagnosis and planning: in this first instance, the general situation of the company is analyzed with respect to the requirements of the ISO 45001 standard, with the aim of determining whether they are met or not.
- Design of the system: at this stage, the necessary documentation is prepared so that the company is aligned with the Health and Safety Management System of the workers required by the standard.
- Implementation of the system: compliance with the documentation mentioned above must be ensured here. This is to show that the health and safety management system implemented is working.
- Verification of the system: through internal audits, there will be a verification of how the management system is working and, if necessary, implement the corresponding improvements to meet the objectives.
Therefore, once we have completed the 4 previous stages, we can start carrying out our ISO 45001 audit checklist and we will explain how you should do it.
ISO 45001 Audit Checklist
The ISO 45001 audit checklist has to take into account planning, organizational context, operational control, support and performance evaluation, which includes continuous improvement and internal audits.
With the ISO 45001 audit checklist, 3 relevant areas can be covered, following clauses 4, 5 and 6 of the standard. These are: Leadership, Context of the organization and Planning.
In each of the sections it is asked if the requirements were reached and the answers should be marked in the checklist. There can be these 3 options:
- Done: means that the company is prepared to face the ISO 45001 certification audit
- Almost done: means that, with the right support and a little guidance, the company will be able to demonstrate compliance.
- Requires improvement: at this point the company must work with greater effort to achieve the required compliance.
How to Do an ISO 45001 Internal Audit?
As a first step, responsibility and authority should be assigned to the auditor and his team. For everything to work, the auditees must cooperate and clearly understand the objectives of the audit, the importance it has and the benefits it will give to both the company and the employees.
Then, the areas that will be audited are defined – since not all of them will be audited. Next, an audit program should be prepared and then it has to be communicated to all those who will be audited.
Afterwards the audit plan is developed, and then the opening meeting is held. The audit starts immediately and, once complete, the closing meeting is executed. But everything does not end at that moment: the auditor must carry out a monitoring and follow-up to verify that everything keeps going as it should.
Benefits of implementing ISO 45001
- Reduce accident insurance premiums
- Improve the image of the company both internally and externally
- Avoid penalties or fines
- Promote a safe and healthy work environment
- Reduce occupational accidents
- Reduce operating costs
- Proven business credentials
- Corporate social responsibility
- Get more customers
- Improve productivity
The advantages of using a checklist of this kind are many! But there is something you will have to keep in mind: the documents that you must have ready to present as soon as they are requested.
What documents does ISO 45001 request?
The mandatory documents required by ISO 45001 are as follows:
➢ Authorities and responsibilities within the OSHMS
➢ Occupational Health and Safety plans and objectives to be achieved
➢ Scope of the Occupational Health and Safety Management System
➢ Processes within the Occupational Health and Safety plan to address risks and opportunities
➢ Emergency preparedness and response plans
➢ Criteria and Methodologies for risk assessment in OSHMS
➢ Occupational Health and Safety Policy
Full Audits: The Best Checklist App
Full Audits is a software that has everything you need for your company to make that change that you are waiting for, since you will be able to visualize all those matters that are working well and those that need to be optimized.
We can help you achieve great management of your company using all kinds of checklists. You can see the ones we have available for you in our checklists library.
If you need more information do not hesitate to visit our website, where you will find everything you need to know about us and the services we provide. We will be happy to help you solve your problems!
Schedule a Demo!
Our system makes it possible to standardize operations and create reports with the data collected, thus helping your staff to identify which areas of the company are failing or need a change.
Through our system, the whole team will be able to be in direct and permanent contact, aware of each process and will be improving the time invested to the maximum. In addition, the tasks will be completely organized, and this will be reflected in a high performance of the company.
You can also set up a demo if you wish, where you will learn how to schedule, assign and execute audits, create or migrate your own custom checklists, create issues, organize structures and much more!